Wow.  Thanks for all the info.  Just out of curiosity, what kinds of sound
cards _are_ capable of coding bit 29 onto the signal?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: September 14, 1999 11:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MD: MP3s, Xitel Card & Minidisc Recording

Michael Cheney wrote:
I have been using the new sound card from Xitel to record digitally files I
have stored on my PC.  When I load WinAmp and then start the recording
process, I get a wonderful recording, BUT I do not get any track
demarcations.
Anyone else have this experience or have ideas about what I might do to
output MP3s to the minidisc with track markings.

Then Aston wrote:
On a related note, I've noticed that when I copy directly from CD to MD
(digitally), the track demarcations are there, even if there's no space
between the tracks on the CD,

I'm writing:
Someone suggested inserting 3 sec gaps between songs. Fine! It works. Your
minidisc notices the silence and put in a trackmark.
Aston noticed that when recording from a CD with digital out this is no
problem. I'll explain why:

When we are recording digitally to our MDs we use the S/PDIF interface
(Sony - Philips Digital Interface). You can read more about that at
http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/docs/audio/spdif.html
As you can see on the webpage mentioned above not only the sample data (the
actual music) is transferred. Also some other information is enclosed. These
are bits 28-31 of each 32 bit word. Bit 29 is the user data subcode. In this
subcode is all information on tracknumbers, elapsed time etc. and this info
is used by your MD to set correct trackmarks when recording from a CD with
digital out. (Read more on S/PDIF and user subcode in the following product
datasheet by Analog Devices: http://www.analog.com/pdf/AD1892_0.pdf Check
pages 8-12 for S/PDIF encoding and pages 16-17 for the user subcode.

Unfortunatly normalpriced soundcards like the Xitel card, SBLive! and
Hoontech 4DWave NX can't code user subcode (bit 29) on to the signal.
Therefore no information on when a new track starts is transferred to the
MD. There is one exception: When using the soundcards for recording directly
from the digital output on your CD-rom drive the soundcard acts just like a
converter for the electrical signal to optical, so then it might work
(haven't tested myself though).

Lars Soderman
Stockholm, Sweden