Whilst sorting through a box of old MD's to decide if they were worth
keeping, I found quite a few that wouldn't spin up in my R55, giving disc
errors.  Opening the shutters of these discs I saw pin-prick holes in the
disc surface that light was able to shine through. I have found discs like
this before, and last year sent a sample to Arnaud Devilder of MPO to
examine.  He told me that the disc lacquer was still intact on that disc,
and could not explain the holes/dropouts caused. I reasoned it was an
isolated incident, but now I have a box of 20 or so I am not so sure.  It
cannot be the equipment I use, as I have owned many units, change my
portable recorder every 6 months or so to avoid wear and tear problems and
these discs have never been heavily edited or used frequently, some once
recorded only ever being played in a car unit.

So what is causing this 'rot' in my discs?  They are different brands,
different ages, and have had different amounts of use, so I doubt it's a
manufacturing fault. Theories, anybody?

Arnaud, if I send you these discs, can you try and find out what's wrong?

Richard<--- very puzzled

FYI:
Current equipment:  R55, R35, E25, Je520, MD5, MEH P5000R

Previous recorders:  MZ1, R3, R30, DMP R70, 702 X2, 722, R50, Je510