Simon Mackay wrote:

> As for buffering, this can be achieved on PCM nowadays as the cost of memory
> silicon is reduced -- as we know through the use of buffering on portable CD
> players.

Some (most with anti-shock?) CD portables use data compression to
achieve higher buffer times from small amounts of RAM.  This causes a
noticable degradation in the sound quality when the anti-shock feature
is switched on.  I guess the cost of RAM in the overall scheme of
economic manufacturing is still prohibitively high.

-cb