"robert.justice" wrote:

> currently i am involved in a research project in my computer engineering
> studies to allow a home audio md unit (je510 initially... same process for
> others) to store data and audio on the same disc.. if this conversion was
> patented and fairly cheap, do you all feel there is a market for this?

No. The ATRAC system renders tonal coding algorythms virtually useless - you
get better data throughput from a standard mono cassette deck, and they are a
lot cheaper too.

>  it
> would use the audio discs and pass data through the serial port at
> 150Kbps.  single speed cd...

Serial port output at 150kbytes/sec? This I have to see, especially as
computer hardware manufacturers had to resort to using EPP on the parallel
port, and more recently USB to get that kind of throughput......

> there is also the possibility of speeding up
> the drive itself... like with using the new quad speed ones.... sound
> good?

If it envolves me opening up the 510 and messing around with the innerds then
no. I currently use a parallel port 100Mb ZIP drive which has a data
throughput of 380kbytes/sec sustained. As it costs only £70 and offers much
better facilities being a dedicated drive, I think I'll stick with it. The new
250Mb USB version is much better again, and I think to try and revive an idea
that Sony already tried to do and failed at is probably not very worthwhile.

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk