If you have Win98/SE, I'd recommend the Opcode SONICPort Optical product.
It's USB-based, and the quality is tremendously superior to the soundcard
output of a laptop.

It costs ~$200.  It's pricy, but it includes OPTICAL IN/OUT and 20bit DAC
analog IN/OUT as well.

I had a problem configuring it until I got the "SE" version of Win98.  Some
people, though, have no problem with the original version of Win98.

Hope this helps.

Jon Deutsch
http://midiservices.com
http://theopinion.com