***WARNING: This message is sent privately to Mohit Gohal, and carbon-copied
to the MiniDisc List.***

Mohit Goyal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've recently heard about some headphones Sony is coming out with
>that are "in-ear", and they have some kind of flexible "gel" inside
>them so they adapt o the shape of your inner ear.

As I said in a previous message, I saw them in a store here in Milan.
I went there again to check them, as promised, and I ended up buying them.
Here are their specs:

Type: closed dynamic
Driver units: 9mm diameter (CCAW voice coil)
Magnet: 400kJ/m^3 Neodymium
Frequency response: 6-23,000 Hz
Impedance: 16 Ohm
Maximum input power: 100 mW
Cord: 1.2m OFC Litz cord
Mass: approx 4g (without cord
Supplied accessories: Earbuds (size S and M), Earphone holder

My personal impressions:
first of all, they are completely "gummy". Both the part of the earbud that
goes into the ear and the part that stays outside is made of a gummy
material. Actually the earbuds are made of soft silicon rubber. They
actually work like those earplugs some people use to keep noise outside, and
possibly sleep in peace. :-)
This is great, because they actually work as noise-canceling phones. They
won't stop very loud noises, but for example: with the TV turned on, I could
barely hear it on the background, high tones from the outside are very much
attenuated, and so were those noises like a clap of my hands, or knocking on
the door.
Stability in the ear is very good, and they don't fall out as easily as
"traditional" earbuds.
Enough for the fancy, let's speak about sound quality. In my opinion it's
UN-BE-LIE-VA-BLE!! I used them on my R55 (finally back from the repair
center... BTW, it was the microprocessor quartz who got mad, at least that
what they told me at the repair center), and there was a GREAT improvement
from the R55 "default" headphones.
Bass is more powerful, even with the digital bass turned off, and treble are
much clearer. The frequency response (6-23,000 Hz) is even too high for the
average users (average for human ears are around 15-16,000 Hz).

Pro's:
- external noise reduction
- stability
- sound quality
- lightness

Con's:
- sensation of being completely "cut out" from the external world
- not possible to use them while on a bycicle or while rollerblading, for
example, because they keep you too much isolated... too dangerous
- price: I paid 95000 ITL, which is around $60... not too expensive, but
definitely not cheap either.

Should you need more information, just ask.
Hope this helps both Mohit and the MD-L community.

Luca
-> my very first LOOOOOOOONG posting. :-)