[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If the paralled port
> is up to the speed, the code will require some kind of clock syncing to get
> a steady digital output.

Forget it. The parallel port isn't quick enough to do that. You would need an
S/PDIF encoder chip (CS8210A I think is the chip) and a line driver linked to
the Toslink output. It's just as cheap to buy a primitive sound card with
digital out, and a lot easier to install! You'd still need a lot of programming
knowledge to write a Windows driver for your parallel port device, and brobably
some bus-mastering knowledge to have the parallel port running in the background
while you decode the MP3. Actually, thinking how much parallel devices like
scanners and Zip drives cripple the system when they read and write, I'm not
sure there would be enough time to process all that is needed and keep a steady
output stream on the parallel port without using some kind of data buffer
externally. It would be easier to design and build an internal PCI card!

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk