Gustavo Córdova Avila wrote:

> I case any are interested, the manual lists as a "PC100 Mainboard", and
> "Super 7 Mainboard, M598 User's Manual". The copyright says "Copyright
> (C) 1998, All Rights Reserved, M598, Version 5.0, S5/December 1998".

This motherboard uses a CMI8330 chip, the same one as used on the cheap
soundcard that was discussed here some time ago.  Those who experimented
with it had varying levels of success, but none were really acceptable.
There was a modification that involved fitting a crystal for the clock
source so that the card didn't depend on the exact ISA bus clock, which
could often be out of spec for S/PDIF.  Once modified, the card seemed
to send and receive S/PDIF OK, but the actual data appeared to have been
through an analog stage on the card for mixing - clearly an unacceptable
condition given the poor analog performance of the card.

Studying a block diagram of the chip reveals that indeed the outgoing
S/PDIF data has been analog mixed, so this chip, any card containing it,
or even motherboards with it built in are not acceptable for serious
S/PDIF transfer applications.

-cb