----- Original Message -----
From: Simon Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MDL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 1999 5:53 PM
Subject: MD: 80 minute discs

> I went into Richer Sounds (UK) on Saturday to buy some 80 minute discs (I
> haven't seen them for sale anywhere locally yet). The salesman told me:
"We
> don't sell 'em - too unreliable". When I pressed him for details, he told
me
> the new discs "take the tracks right to the edge, and most MD machines
can't
> cope", so they stopped selling them to prevent further returns.
> As I understand it, the 80 minute discs have a narrower track
> spacing, and the problem he described would only happen if you cloned an
80
> minute TOC onto a normal 74 minute disc. I suppose some machines might get
> confused by a different track spacing. Can anyone enlighten me ?
>
> simon

The marketing bull sh*t at Richer never ceases to amaze me. I have yet to
encounter a unit that can't cope with an 80 minute disc. The tracks are not
really much nearer the edge than a normal disc, certainly withing acceptable
limits. They reduce the track spacing, so get more tracks into the same
area, simple. The only 80 minute discs that cause problems are the 74 minute
ones that have had their TOC replaced with that of an 80 minute disc. Richer
simply can't sell the 80 minute discs at the over-inflated prices and
because they can't accept that other suppliers may be able to undercut them,
they're out to ruin the reputation of 80 minute discs. It's a simple case of
Richer acting like the spoiled child who can't have the cake and eat it.
Richer can supply some stuff cheaper than other places, but because they
can't manage to beat some other outlets on 80 minute discs they insist on
making up stories to try and put people off buying them. The only thing
unreliable about an 80 minute disc is the salesman who can't sell it.

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk (under construction)
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]