From: Simon Gardner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 01, 1999 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: MD: Coptyright infringment.... oo-err! UK-ONLY

> Probably true - we're not covered by the AHRA over here, so the Berne
> Convention applies - which basically states that you can't copy / transfer
> copyrighted work to another medium without the permission of the copyright
> owner.
>
> The Berne Convention covers pretty much all copyrighted works, but the
main
> exception to it (for music) is for students to copy excerpts of pieces for
> study purposes.
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but that's how the law goes as I understand it.
Obviously
> it's entirely unenforcable, which is why recording for personal use is
> ignored in the UK.
>
> Simon

This is very true Simon, but I think it brings about an interesting point.
If a company advertises in such a way as to promote breaking this law,
doesn't this mean the company itself is advocating breech of copyright? This
is exactly what Phillips were doing with their adverts for CD-R, so does
that mean Phillips are condoning the copying of their material and
effectively saying they are giving permission for you to duplicate their
material for your personal use? Phillips after all, do have their own record
label!

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]