Well, I solved my strange volume problem on my Sharp 702.  As you may
remember, my 702 played music extremely quietly, while the "beep" sound
remained normal.  Strange, right?  I figured it was an EEPROM related
problem, but after Hannes Rohde so kindly sent me the EEPROM defaults and I
fixed the settings, the problem reamained.  So I decided to take apart the
machine (I have some experience with electronics and I've been curious about
the 702's innnards).  All I did was unplug all the ribbon cables from the
main circuit board and plugged them back in.  Voila!  Problem solved!  If
anyone experiences this problem, the operation is very simple, all you need
is a small screwdriver.  To unplug the cables, you simply slide a little
locking mechanism out.  A strange little side note:  While the back cover was
off, I was doing a bit of experimenting, and the unit will continue to play
normally with a majority of the cables unplugged.  Weird.
    On to the plea.  We must all write emails to Costco (or Price Club
depending on where you live) to add minidiscs to their shelves.  Costco is
usually very good about rushing items to the shelves if they think they will
sell.  They already offer CD-R and CD-RW (entire "cake boxes" for $21!!)

Gary