I will probably buy one of these as I have bought many MD products and
am becoming interested now in digital camera recording, ( I currently
own the Sony TRV 900 3 CCD Mini DV Camcorder.), HDTV and the like.
However, I have several questions about the unit if anyone knows:

What kind of lens: Sony or Carl Zeiss? What specifications on the lens,
i.e., f characteristics, mm and the like?

Nightshot? (Not on the TRV 900, available on the DCR-100 (more below).

Lux capacity and shooting distance? (minimum 4 lux and 1 inch on the TRV
900)

Zoom capability-both optical and digital? How much?

If this can record 20 minutes of MPEG2 video, why is it only rated at
400 lines? MPEG2 DVD video is rated at 540 lines, Mini DV at 500 lines
and the new Sony DCR-100 at 520 lines. Further, although still digital
images on the TRV 900 and most digital camcorders are rated at 640 x
480, the DCR-100 will do still images of 1152 x 864 for much higher
resolution, so what's this bull about 640 x 480 being the limits of Mini
DV and why won't the MD Discam shoot stills at the higher resolution?
(The DCR-100 also boasts a single 1/4 inch CCD of 1070k pixels, the TRV
900 has three 1/4 inch pixels of 380k each-the numbers are almost
identical, also, the DCR-100 boasts of a new HAD CCD technology,
whatever that is.)

Why no firewire? If I wanted to make digital Mini DV copies of several
completed Video MD's into a single movie, much like 35mm mags of film,
how do I do it? Also, could someone please explain Ethernet and why it
would be better than firewire (if it is) and why would I want to use
this type of technology to post something with as poor quality as most
JPEG's. What's the point and how do the camera contents automatically
have their own internet address, anyway?

Why only three still images with 260 minutes of audio? Aren't there more
combinations? I also assume this unit must have a built in microphone
and record both moving and still video along with audio at the same
time, but I'm beginning to wonder-further, I certainly hope audio is at
least at current MD standards. (Where are we, ATRAC 5-R or something?).
Speaking of audio, what about the ability yo overdub audio tracks. (Most
Sony DV camcorders allow you to record two 12 bit tracks onto MIniDV, or
one 16 bit track. The Sony Digital 8's, although they could do this, do
not have this feature. Further, you can choose the level of each track
if you wanted track 2 at a much softer volume than track one, for
example.)

There must at least be S-Video inputs and outputs for playback on a TV
or video monitor, I hope, not just composite, although firewire would be
far better for dubbing.

Are DVD video camcorders a reality in the near future? And at what
price? What would be a comparable product to the MD Discam, and at what
price? I'm guessing the next leap from here currently with these kinds
of editing features in a disc based camcorder (with at least this high
quality of a picture) is at the professional level, thousands and
thousands of dollars more expensive. Anybody have a handle on this?

Not MD related, but also video related, I have noticed some DVD's (in
particular, "Titanic", which is very well mastered) are not quite as
brilliant or accurate in color on my Toshiba RPTV widescreen TV as my
Inteq CRT TV, but the 16:9 aspect ratio of the Toshiba more than makes
up the difference. Yet, analog broadcasts of most TV shows, especially
high quality 2D animation like "The Simpsons" or "Futurama" are
incredible, almost better than on the Inteq. So what's the deal with
DVD's? (they do come very close, though, and as I mentioned earlier the
tradeoff to a widescreen TV more than makes up the difference, in my
opinion. I'm using the component outputs from the Sony 7000 DVD Player.)
not MD related, if you wish, but are likely common interests of many of
the members of this group. Thanks!