Hello Learened ones!

I was hoping to pic your collective brains a bit.  I must first
apologize, it is a bit OT, but I thought this the place to gain the
knowledge which I lack.  Here goes...

When I bought my Sharp MD-MS722, I was delighted to note that it had a
digital output.  I had bought a Pioneer PD-M700 5 disc changer in 1988.
When I bought it, I noticed that it had both coax and optical digital
output.  In 1988, I thought it was for connecting the changer to a
high-end reciever.  It would work great for that, but it is much more
usefull for the MD application...:)   ANYWAY, to my question.....
I have also noticed that on the back of the Pioneer changer there is an
output labeled SUBCODE OUTPUT.  The manual states that this will be used
at a later date by Pioneer.  Well, I figured that since the unit was so
far ahead of it's time in 1988, that this might be some type of output
for data disks or DVD.  I would appreciate any input as to what this may
be or where I can find the information as to what it is...I have already
tried Pioneer's page but to no avail....

So that is my question.  I leave it up to you, the world's collective
knowledge on all that is digital.....(just a little sucking up there).

Thanks,

Joel