Hey Ray,

> From your brief description, this seems like a fairly straightforward piece of
> software.

Since I don t see myself as a software expert it s not for me the judge how
straightforward  is the VMM software.

> Presumably the md does not store the MP3 in its compressed form, but
> each track will take the same space as on a cd - i.e. still only 74 minutes of
> sound, but of the poorer MP3 audio quality.

Since they record the sound card output, It s obvious that they not record MP3 in MP3
format, but they MD records it in ATRAC (as audio MD usually do : -) , so
mathematically there is degradation due to the additional ATRAC compression.

However I have good sound card and to my ear, the recorded music quality satisfies me
(yes it bothered me that it s not pure digital recording - However it was surprisingly
more than OK).
Re 74min: Yes, I can record 74 minutes (as with CD), but I pay for it $2/74min rather
than $100/60min for my Rio s Flash card.

> Which sites do Voquette use?

I check their software with their site Voquette.com - they feature music from mp3.com
and other sites (re legal: it s their biz) as well as streaming audio.
I also checked it with other sites - most of them it worked OK, however I found some
sites that I had some problems with. (But the software did not stuck there, it just
skipped it. I sent them email: I will update you on this). So I was not logged all
night due to tracks that were not downloaded.

> Go!Zilla and windows scheduled task manager

I used this and other programs and enjoyed them  - I find the VMM much easier to use
and it also supports streaming audio (not only files transfers).
Personally I use it mainly for daily recordings of Cnet Radio programs. (I D&D the
RealAudio hyperlink of their daily program into the VMM and scheduled it to be
recorded onto the MD every day at 6:00AM, so by the time I wake up I get my MD with my
daily technical briefings - for me it s a Killer App. I also tried their e-mail
recordings, the audio quality is more than OK, however the fact that I could not reply
instantaneously to the email, made not use it for this application)

> I believe I've seen your email before

I believe you did, but usually I am a passive reader. (I only jump in when I really
hate, or like something)

Let me know your take on this.

Richard