>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Due to a high error ratio of a minidisc (which isn't a problem for audio)
> > it is not as suitable for data as you'd think, which leads to  a lot of
> > redundancy, ie the disk will probably be much less than 140 Mb, more like
> > 100-120
>
>Huh???
>
>1) MD-Data == 140MB.

you're right, got that correction from another member already, always
thought that the disk was 140 Mb's raw, turns out to be about 160, my mistake.

>2) MD-Data uses another error correction algorithm than MD-Audio

Of course, if you'd use the audio correction you'd have a lot more errors

>3) MD-Data uses another type of disk
>4) MD-Data != MD-Audio

I know, I know

>MD-Data was an attempt of Sony to introduce a portable media based on
>MO technology. It had three major problems:
>
>1) To expensive:
>    Drives costed about $1000,- at the introduction.
>2) SCSI 2
>    MD-Data drives connected to SCSI-2. Back in 1994? (Rick, help me out),
>    during the introduction of MD-Data, SCSI-2 interfaces where expensive.
>    Almost at the same time, the ZIP drive was introduced. The media was
>    almost the same price, but the drive was about 3 times less expensive!
>    And it connected to the Parallel port!
>3) To slow
>    150kBs was to slow compared to other portable media back then. You could
>    buy a 240MB 3.5" MO drive for a 'few' dollars more, that outperformed the
>    MD-Data drive.

Yep, indeed, I know the problem, right now, buy a SCSI 2 Gb Jazz, thos
things are cool...

>Cheers,
>Ralph -> Who is glad that there are other Dutch on this list.

Greetingz, en 'tga je goed.

Guess, you know C, Java or javascript... (the == and !=)...

Bye, Remko van der Vossen, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Black Angel, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ: 48056779
EDA and owner of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
fan of Jewel, The X-Files, Chris Carter, Mac Gyver,
BtVS, Jane Jensen's Gabriel Knight

Pretty; "There is a pretty girl on the Face of this magazine
And all I can see are my dirty hands turning the page" Jewel