Rick wrote:

> The paper makes good reading because it goes into considerable depth
> about the nature of generational loss.

I was actually quite suprised when I discovered there WAS generational loss.
My work with wavelet compression had led me to believe that the transform
would have a degree of symmetry, so that re-applying it to its own output
would yield the same result again. I still think this would be possible, but
I expect the constraints of symmetry would make the result sound noticeably
worse than ATRAC, so ATRAC is a better compromise for most users.

simon