Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:11:15 -0500
From: Eric Woudenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MD: Dynamic range of mic input (was: md-l-digest V2 #455)

Jeff Medin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 3). The DYNAMIC RANGE of the (un-powered) "LINE INPUT" (where you plug
> the Mics & battery box in) is SUBSTANTIALLY larger than that of the
> (powered) "MIC INPUT".

What leads you to this conclusion?

Rick

Rick, please note this is a general statement that does not apply to all
but here is what leads me to that conclusion:

1) Talking to a few engineers at a few companies that make commercial
microphones-- Drawing on their experience.

2) "REC IN" *USUALLY* has an extra stage of gain for the low milli-volt
level output of Mics (VS half volt type Line levels).  This extra gain
stage will limit D/R compared to "LINE IN" (unless you "ride" the level
control on machines that don't have auto leveling).

I have personally found this to be true on the (very) few machines I
have actually used at live concerts.