Oh, no! That's not what I was saying at all! I watch DVD's through
component video and they're excellent. What I'm talking about is Mini DV
tape I shoot on the Sony TRV900 3CCD Mini DV camcorder then play back on
TV. It never looks as good as even an average DVD. It always has at
least some graininess-and this is the very best consumer camcorder Sony
makes. To get really professional results, I guess a person would have
to invest in much more expensive professional equipment, editing bays
and so on. Tape shot on the TRV900 comes across looking like good live
cable at its best (shown on a really topnotch TV)-it's actually pretty
good but you do see a lot of graininess. Quite frankly, I don't see all
that much dfference on playback than tapes shot with a one chip Mini DV.
But I guess I'm asking a lot of the format. Really, it's more than fine
for traditional consumer camcording-what I'm saying is it is never, ever
perfect-the colors are not 100% accurate like on a good DVD. If you
compare the film to the subject you just shot, this is apparent.
Especially with reds. Playing back tapes on the 3" swivel monitor look
fantastic, but then again that is LCD and not a CRT. By the time you
play it back on your CRT television, it adds quite a bit of
graininess-like all analog TV does. It really is a wonderful format and
a wonderful camera, but it is not perfect. Or even close. Although you
occassionally see things like "The Blair Witch Project" that were shot
on far inferior equipment as films. And a lot of Mini DV and DV Cam
footage is used in television, especially by news field reporters.