If you have to go to that much trouble to reproduce this problem, then the
chances that it will occur randomly during a recording seem pretty slim. No?

-- Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Eric Woudenberg
Sent: Friday, December 17, 1999 2:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: re: MD: The French Horn Glitch - Urban legend

"Martin Schiff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> As I suspected, this story seems to be an urban legend (at least based on
my
> tests). I used your file LoHorn.wav and recorded it digitally on my Sharp
> MD-R2, then digitally on my Sharp 702, and finally analog through the line
> in on my Sharp 702. There was absolutely no distortion whatsoever in the
> recording. All the wave forms are perfectly normal and the copies sound
just
> like the original (hiss and all). I would be happy to provide the wav file
> to anyone that would like a copy of it. I suspect that the person who
> originally experienced this problem had a bad cable or some other
> mechanical/electronic problem.

To perform this test properly you've got to make a loop out of the
signal you're recording. The number of samples in the loop should be:

        (number of samples) module 512 == 511 (or 1)

Then repeat the loop 512 times (or more). ATRAC's window size is 512
samples (11.6ms) and this 1 sample shift will cause ATRAC to window
the signal with every possible alignment boundary.

Rick