Hi,

>>>I'm going to buy my first MD, a Sony Mz-R91 from Hong
>>>Kong for use in Australia.
>>>I'd like to know whether its better to buy the 110V
>>>japanese version or the slightly more expensive
>>>Hongkong version which is 220V.
>>>However australia uses 240V.
>>>is it ok to just get the 110V and use some converter
>>>to change it to 240V?
>>
>>Well, the 220 is actually designed to work with any voltage of 220 to
>>250V, that is because all former 220V countries are gradually increasing
>>the voltage to a final 250V. The same thing is happening here in Holland.
>
>Actually, they're standardising on 230V, +/- 5% according to information
>available here in the UK, but as you say, a 220V transformer will work
>fine - they're made to quite wide tolerances.

Nope, it's going to 250, but the current standard is 230..

>>And yes, you could also use a transformer to convert your 240V to 110V,
>>the diiference is that you then have two transformers, one outside your
>>md, 240 -> 110, and one inside which converts from 110 to 12 or so. the
>>point is that loss occurs in every transformation, although this is very
>>little there still is some. and there'll be always some current flowing
>>in the 240 -> 110 converter unless you want to turn on/off the converter
>>and md every time, so there's some loss to.
>
>Erm, the R-91 is a portable, is it not? I think it would be a tad bulky if
>it had a 110 to 12V transformer inside it :-)

Oops, my mistake.

>Sorry, what's transformer loss? I don't think it's got a lot to do with
>powering an MD walkman...

well, a transformer converts to magnetic and back, some of the magnatism
'escapes' there's no influence on your md, but there is some loss...

>If you go for the Japanese one, you'll end up with a brick-in-the-wall
>transformer which converts from 240-110, then the 110-DC transformer which
>comes with the Sony. You might also end up with a Japanese to Australian
>plug convertor if you buy your 240-110 adaptor in Japan, which is another
>thing sticking out of the wall. A mate of mine had this problem when he
>bought a Sharp 831 from Japan - he had UK-Euro>240-110>110-DC which caused
>no end of problems with dodgy connections, so I got him a 240V to 5V power
>supply and put the right DC plug on it for him.

Yeah, with a protable that works just fine as long as you match current and
power.

>You'd be much better off going for the Hong Kong version, for which you
>may or may not need a plug convertor - don't know what Hong Kong and
>Australian plugs look like...

As, i said that'd be the simplest solution, and for a portable it is even
more so.

>>So all in all, you would be just fine using a japanese one and a
>>converter, but buying a Hongkong version would be better. the only thing
>>to consider is frequency, in europe we use 60 Hz in America they use 50
>>Hz, I don't know about other countries, and I don't know if the md is
>>bothered by it... if it is you'd have to use a converter anyway.
>
>Sorry matey, wrong again. Europe is 50Hz, America is 60Hz. This won't
>affect the MD in any way,

Got them confused.. Don't I feel foolish...

>since the 50/60Hz AC will be rectified to DC before it goes anywhere near
>the MD itself. The mains frequency only affects things like TVs and mains
>powered clocks which rely on the mains frequency as their timebase.

Yep, indeed the portable wouldn't have any problems with that, a deck
however could be using the ac frequency for something, very unlikely, but
it could.

>As I say, you're better off in all aspects with the Hong Kong one :-)

yep, it'd save a lot of hassle, especially with a portable, with a deck you
could consider it since you only setup once and leave for the rest of time...

Next time i really got to check what I'm writing... that was soo stupid...

Bye, Remko van der Vossen, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Black Angel, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ: 48056779
EDA and owner of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
fan of Jewel, The X-Files, Chris Carter, Mac Gyver,
BtVS, Jane Jensen's Gabriel Knight

Pretty; "There is a pretty girl on the Face of this magazine
And all I can see are my dirty hands turning the page" Jewel