[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've got a number of MDs that I made of my vinyl that I can't easily replace
> (no turntable!) so in addition to making duplicate MDs and putting the
> originals away, I'd like to make CD copies of them as well.
>
> This is the equipment I've got: Sony JE-510, Harman Kardon AVR-500 receiver
> (optical and co-ax ins and outs), SB Live platinum, and a Yamaha burner. The
> JE-510 has an optical feed to the AVR-500, which has a co-ax feed to the
> soundcard. I shut down all the inputs but the S/PDIF in and recorded a WAV
> with CoolEdit2000. After that's done I break it up into tracks at my leisure
> and burn the files to a CDR.
>
> I'm curious if the signal is undergoing conversion to/from analogue at any
> point. I know that it doesn't in the receiver, but I wonder about the mixer
> in the soundcard. One promising sign is that as long as the record level is
> at 100% in the mixer, the record level indicator readings in CoolEdit are
> identical to those on the minidisc deck. I know that the SB Live isn't the
> best card in the world for this kind of thing, but I've got to work with
> what I've got at this point.
>
> Any comments or thoughts are welcome.

Hmm.... What is the exact path of the audio signal from the turntable?
Is it:

Turntable -> AVR-500 (internal conversion to Digital) -> SBLive digital in?

In this case, there are several possibilities:
I don't know the AVR-500. but I suspect you can select the sampling
frequency. Set this frequency to 48 Khz in order to match the sampling
frequency of the SBLive!. If not, it will be resampled by the SBLive in
order to get 48kHz... and resampled again to get 44.1kHz by software.
Ie, if you select 44.1Khz, you get the following path:
  Turntable -> AVR-500 A/D -> 44.1Khz Signal -> SBLive! digital in ->
  Upsampler -> 48Khz signal -> software downsampler -> 44.1Khz WAV!
If you select 48 kHz, you get the next path:
  Turntable -> AVR-500 A/D -> 48Khz Signal -> SBLive! digital in ->
  -> software downsampler -> 44.1Khz WAV
Ie, you have one step less. Thus a more accurate digital signal is
obtained!

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE