> If no one has an MD boombox that runs on batteries (I still think it's
> ludicrous that this is such an unusual criteria for a boombox) then I'd
> appreciate any input on the Aiwa CSDMD50 boombox, which I think is the one I
> will get if I can't find one that runs on batteries.

A quick case insensitive search for the string "batter" on the Boombox list
on minidisc.org yields the following results:

Kenwood MDX-F3 (http://www.minidisc.org/part_Kenwood_MDX-F3.html)
Sanyo MD-U4R/U4T (http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sanyo_MD-U4R+T.html)
Casio MDH-505 (http://www.minidisc.org/part_Casio_MDH-505.html)

However, I have no idea where you can buy any of them.

:)