> I think it's rather that the motor spin-up time is slower. Motor speed
> itself would not seem to have a direct relation to power
> consumption. On the Sharp MD-MT831 the top end motor RPM (400-1350rpm)
> is actually higher than on mainstream units (400-900rpm), I've always
> assumed this was to save power since you can read faster and the
> amount of time you need to run the motor is less.
Ahh, but the Sharp has the power saving mode. Remember that the power
saving mode will fill the buffer and stop the disc (and thus motor)
until the 40 seconds are almost over and then start filling it again.
The Sony doesn't have such a feature and then I assume will constantly
be filling the buffer (much like the Sharp when power saving is turned
off)

> > Won't this affect shock protection? I would imagine that this would cause
> > the shock buffer to fill more slowly. Anybody know how to monitor the
> > MZ-R90's shock buffer?
>
> I did have my MZ-R90 mute on me once while on a Nordic-track. That's
> never happened with my MZ-R50 (same Nordic-track, same pocket).

Was this near the beginning of playing? I'm curious.

If the motor spin up was slower, then it would still affect shock buffer
filling near the beginning of playing, right? Since the disc is spinning
fast enough to be read from, but is still slower than peak...