> Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:43:37 +0100
> From: Ralph Smeets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > an external 12-disc CD changer.) It also has an aux input (two
> RCA jacks) in
> > the back. Kind of inconvenient there, but it's easy enough to
> run a cable
> >

> Isn't this the connection for the external CD changer?

No, the external CD changer has its own proprietary "J-Link" cable. This
single cable carries power, control, and audio signals between the head unit
and the changer. Makes installation of the changer a snap. The aux input is
completely standalone.

-----
> Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:43:49 +1100
> From: Michael H Cosby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: MD: Stealthy Mikes
>
> I have just bought a pair of electret mike inserts to make up a binaural
> mike pair, to fit into a spectacle frame. However they are larger than I
> expected, and will be hard to disguise.
> It occurs to me that the mikes now fitted to "hands-free" mobile phone
> headsets - the kind real estate salesmen have inserted at birth - are
> smaller and would be less obtrusive. Has anyone tried this? How suitable
> would they be for quality recording?

That seems like a lot of hassle. I ordered a set of binaural mics from the
Sound Professionals and they work great with my MZR50. They're mounted in a
set of eyeglass holders ("croakies"? I've never heard the word before, but
that's what they call them) that slide over your eyeglass frames. The
recording quality is as good as I'd expect for live work in noisy
environments - really good. You just have to keep your mouth shut unless you
want to be the star of the recording.
-----
> Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:56:25 -0500
> From: LAS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: MD: Car MD players...

> Hi.  Sounds like a great unit.  But how much does it cost for the
> head unit and
> amp?

The head unit has a 40Wx4 internal amp. There is a config menu that lets you
disable the internal amp if you're going to use an external one. It has both
line level and speaker level outputs. List price is $750, best price (for a
factory refurb) is $419 at www.crazyg.com. Best price for a new unit is $445
at www.autotoys.com. I bought mine for $535 last year from autotoys. If you
get the external CD changer, make sure you get the CHX-1200 if you want
CD-Text support. If you don't care about CD-Text, your choice of changer
isn't important, they're all the same size, and most of them are J-Link.
(But if you buy an extra CD cartridge, you must get the correct one, they're
not all interchangeable.)

  -- Howard Chu