MDL wrote:

        > A friend spots Aiwa's photo and Japanese announcement of their
MM-FX500,
        > the world's first portable MP3 encoder/player. With 32MB of
memory,
        > it records music (analog input) at 128kbps/44.1khz or voice memo
        > (builtin mono mic input) at 8kbps/16khz.
        > Battery life on AA x 1, rec: 5h, play: 10h. Dim: 65 x 90 x 18.5mm,
80g.

I have to say I'm seriously underwhelmed here. 32 MB = 33 minutes @ 128k.
This thing is nearly as big as my MZR90, and has a shorter battery life,
despite having no moving parts. OTOH, glad to see encoding built in, so it
can be used stand-alone for recording music (just like an MD).

simon