On Sun, 27 Feb 2000,   nick   wrote:

> However, the other day, we were taught in high school physics the following:
> "At low intensity levels our ears are noticeably less sensitive to low and
> high frequencies. Loudness controls on stereos can compensate for this."
> Which is it?
>
> My thoughts are that low levels on a stereo simply put through a low level
> of all frequencies, and the amp - providing it has sufficient headroom -
> will help the speakers produce these frequencies as best they can. The
> softness at certain frequencies would then come in with the inadequacies of
> our ears, which is partially corrected with the "loudness" feature.
> Thoughts?

You are pretty much completely right. The loudness setting is designed for
low volume levels but most people (like me) just keep it on the whole time
simply because it sounds better.
However, perhaps some speakers are not as sensitive to low/high
frequencies at low volume levels as well. So at low volumes the ear hears
even less low and high frequencies. (This is just a wild guess in my part,
I'm sure there are some people with some real knowledge on this list who
can give some input.)

Ian