In my previous post (about the Sony commercial), I made the observation that
transfering between PC and MD is extremely problematic at this point (1X
transfer via S/PDIF or analog, titling via Slink, IR, etc).  This response
seemed somewhat interesting:

> better use a USB or FireWire

Adding a USB connector to an MD deck is a great idea, especially one such as
the MDS-PC2, which is made *specifically* for connection to a PC.  I believe
the high-speed mode on USB is 12Mbit/s, which is enough to transfer audio at
a little better than 4X!  Given that the most MD current transport
mechanisms are designed to run at about 5X when filling/emptying the buffer,
this looks like an easy change for the manufacturers to implement by simply
designing a data coder/decoder chip with USB pins on it.  Basicallly, the
rest of the deck design would remain unchanged.  2X and 4X CD -> MD decks
(that use standard MD transport mechanisms) are already a fairly common...
The USB connector is physically small, so it would work great on a portable
MD recorder and given the modest power requirement of modern MD portables,
the USB could probably power the MD as well as transfering audio, titling
and remote control.  Wow, this would certainly cut down on the forest of
wires I've got with my MDS-PC2!

FireWire is a possiblility, but its not near commonplace as the now
ubiquitous USB connectors on new computers, and while its extremely high
transfer rate would be nice, it would require extensive design changes, such
as higher-speed MD transports, etc, to exploit its high speed.  Maybe down
the road...

Man, I'm excited just thinking about the implications of USB!  Now this
would make MD a *clear* winner over the MP3 players!  Sony, let me know if
this type of thing is in the works; I'm ready to buy it now...