[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi James,

UTOC stands for "User Table Of Contents". You can find a
UTOC on each recordable minidisc. The "UTOC" is used to
store data on where to find a song on the disc and titles.

The famous "UTOC" error on Sharp units had a simular description.

I've read on this list durring the last 2 years about the
UTOC error and IMHO it is related to a software bug in either
the Sharp or the Sony software.

I hear people 'screaming' "Sony invented MD thus...", but
remember that Sony isn't God! Example,
1) why do HiSpace discs work on all machines except the Sony JB920?
2) why is it that Sharpies have only problems with disc
   edited on Sony units? (Sharps have no problems with discs
   edited on other units!)

But on the other hand, it could be just a Sharp bug.... Or
maybee a bug in both systems?

Cheers,
Ralph -> who hasn't written a lot lateley...

> OK.. after reading about this for some time, it is now
> time for me to ask "What Is It?".
>
> I have a MD recorded on the Sony MDX3 (Is that the
> right model #? it's the CD to MD dubbing deck).  I no
> longer have the Sony - my wife made me take it back
> when faced with a huge car repair bill shortly after
> buying it.  I still have my Sharp MT-15.  I am trying
> to title this MD previously recorded on the Sony.  I
> had titled the first 3 tracks before having the Sony
> wrested from my grip.  Now, when I tried to title
> track 4, (which is done by pausing the track, and
> pushing the edit button - this also how one moves,
> divides, erases and combines tracks), I got a message
> saying "UTOC Error".  Ditto for all subsequent tracks.
>
> Now here's the weird part.  After trying this on a
> couple of occasions, the UTOC error resolved itself
> one the 4th track (i.e I was able to title it); but
> the 5th and subsequent tracks still display "UTOC
> Error".
>
> This is the only disc wherein I have had this problem.
>
> Any ideas?  Is this the same UTOC error which people
> have associated with earlier Sharp models?  Did I
> maybe do something wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE