On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Simon Mackay wrote:

        Hi,

[...]
> An interesting appliance concept for this medium would be a digital image
> view-download unit for use in the field. These devices, in a similar vein to
> Iomega's Clik digital-image-download device which fills 40Mb disks, would
> transfer images from a CompactFlash card or a SimartMedia card to an
> MD-Data2 disc (which holds 10 times the amount of the biggest CF card). This
> would allow a photographer to work at the highest resolution on one of the
> new 2.3 or above megapixel digital cameras for a long time without worrying
> about memory-card space. This comes in handy during weddings, holidays and
> other occasions where a lot of pictures are being taken and there is no
> chance of being able to download the images during the trip.

        Don't forget a FireWire port! :) To be able to transfer from your
DV or D8 camera directly to that device; standalone FireWire cards costs
about $300, I'm sure that having the porte integrated on a mass production
unit will lower a lot the costs... I'm definitely not going to spend $300
for having a couple of USB-alike ports, but will definitely spend those or
more un such device: a multi-conector-cheap-reliable-media-multi-purpose
mass storage device...

        Don't forget that zip/jaz/clik etc. can't match MD media stability
(MO) also, they're as (I guess less) reliable as a hard disk...

        That device would be a dream gadget!

        greets,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org