[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> At 3/2/00 10:46 AM, Ralph Smeets increased the world's knowledge by
> typing:
>
> >I'm under the impression that you haven't met PrinzeGaz yet... He's our
> >'provoker'. I mean, he just likes discussion to much.... ;-)
>
> I guess not. I noticed his smiley, but I just had to get that off my
> chest anyway. I feel much better now.  ;-)

Cheers!

> BTW... I've looked at other portables as possible replacements for my R50
> for this very reason. But all of them, even the new Sony's, seem to have
> various usability drawbacks when compared to it. For example, the jog
> dial is WONDERFUL. I also love how easy the R50 makes it to mark and
> unmark tracks (push a button and you're done).
>
> If Sony made a version of the R50 that had the following modifications, I
> would buy one YESTERDAY and tell my friends that they should buy one too:
>
> -- the R90's battery life (actually, the R50's form factor should
>       allow a longer life)
> -- a backlit display
> -- an "automatic" end search when recording
> -- the ability to start playing from the beginning without having
>       to use the jog dial
> -- without cutting the performance (such as the R90's less precise
>       track marking or slower startup times)
> -- slightly lighter (It doesn't have to be smaller, although slimmer
>       might be possible if they're very, very careful about it.)

I don't know what Sony's up to, but since 'The Others' (Sharp and Aiwa) have
copyied their jog-dial they seem to started abandoning 'The Jog'.

'The Rest' brings out new portables while they add features (smaller, battery
live, jog-dial), but Sony.....

Cheers,
Ralph -> Who think's that Sony made very good MD portables until the MZ-R55. At
the moment
         they put out the MZ-R55 they lost contact with the real world!
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE