"Priciples of Digital Audio - 4th", considered by many to be the "bible" of
digital audio theory, is now available.  My copy, which was pre-ordered at
BN.com, arrived yesterday.  The latest edition is up to 736 pages, and
contains an entire chapter on MD, as well as chapters for CD, DAT, DVD, PC
audio and digital broadcasting.  I've not had a chance for detailed reading
yet, but it seems to bring together a *lot* of basic theory together in one
place.  Maybe not enough to actually build the devices it talks about, but
certainly plenty of information to conduct an intellegent conversation with
those who do build the stuff.

All in all, a great reference book!