From: David W. Tamkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2000 7:32 AM
Subject: MD: trying to save MD tracks on hard drive

> Can someone guess what surely obvious elementary error I'm making, perhaps
> from hearing about others who were in this position, or from having been
> there?
>
> I'm trying for the first time to record with Windows Sound Recorder or
Cool
> Edit 2000 (the trial version, which I'm not sure *can* record, but surely
> Windows Sound Recorder can).  The analog output of my MD player is
connected
> to the line-in of my soundcard, and I can hear the MD play through the
com-
> puter speakers, but when I tell Sound Recorder to record, it saves a
silent
> signal.  Is there some input selector that I overlooked, perhaps?  Also,
it
> seems unwilling to record more than sixty seconds at a time; maybe .wav
for-
> mat is wrong and I have to pick another?  The longest track runs almost
five
> minutes.
>
> That isn't much to go on, but it's all I can think of.  I'm desperate to
get
> these files saved by Sunday evening (UTC -6) and am totally lost.  Any
assis-
> tance would be greatly appreciated.

Yep - missing something obvious..... well it's Windows so nothing is
obvious, but it is simple.

Double click on the speaker icon (bottom right on the task-bar) to bring up
the mixer.
>From the Options menu in the mixer, pick "Properties"
There'll be a window with options to adjust volume for "Playback" or
"Recording". Click on "Recording" then on "OK" to close the window.
The mixer will have changed. Now put a tick under the aux. volume in the box
labelled "select".

Better? :o)

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]