Here's an interesting thought.  If someone *does* buy the Sony USB adapter,
could they pry it open and let me know the numbers on the chips.  Might be
that the codec chip has an S/PDIF output pin (fairly likely with modern
codecs).  Its less likely to have and S/PDIF input pin.  If Sony has used
their own chips, documentation might be hard to come by.  But they used a
NEC microprocessor in the CAV-50C interface, so maybe their latest trend is
to move away from designing their own chips for everything.

One other comment: S/PDIF I/O is, in general, less of a design hassle than
analog I/O.  The only reason it is currently more expensive is
economy-of-scale.  If manufacturers roll out S/PDIF sound cards in the
quantity they do with analog sound cards, the price will go *way* down,
becuase S/PDIF is actually *simpler* from the manufacturing standpoint.