Hi guys,

Well it seems Sony *may* actually listen to some comments on this
list (actually I'd bet a pound for a penny they do-- but always just lurk),
but for once have actually implemented a common request.

Whether the "long-play" mode(s), be it 2x or 4x existing recording
length, plus mono at double stereo length I assume, it could have
been done in two ways-

1. LP mode simply acts as an automatic 200% or 400% pitch adj,
which means some older decks can cope but quality will suffer, it
would be fine for voice recording where readability is more important
than fidelity, though.

2. The ATRAC algorithm is used at a lower bit-rate allocation, about
140kbps for 2x length or 70kbps for 4x length.  This will give better
overall sound but be totally incompatible with all existing MD units
unless ATRAC was originally developed with variable bitrates in
mind and decoders can cope with it, rather like how an MZ-1 can
happily play back R-Type 4.5 ATRAC.  Even if incompatible now,
I would prefer this implementation (you can bet other units would
all start supporting playback at various bitrates, even if they cannot
support recording at those rates).  Sharp etc would be forced to
follow as Sony are market leaders in MD.

Either way, I'd love to record about 10 hours of mono audiobook
material on one disk (4x length, mono) even 5 hours would be nice,
and as someone said it would be ideal for lectures, hungover uni
students would love it :-)

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "if it harms none, do what you will"
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://website.lineone.net/~princegaz/
ICQ: 36892193

Earn a minimum of $20 per hour by watching ads on the net!
Visit http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=10164669