dig back through the list archives, about 3 months iirc.  There was a guy
who posted (think he was a pilot).  The whole bit went into about the
phases of the flight including durring takeoff and landing what they
call Sterile Cockpit, or something like that.  It's basically the only
point in the flight where the flight crew really needs to be on the ball.
That's why its like first and last 10 min. of the flight.  Durring that
time, you're so low to the ground that if something goes amiss, you've
barely got time to react if you have time at all.  At cruising altitude
It's not that bad, hell you've got 30k feet to drop before you smack
the ground. Plenty of reaction time :-).  But durring that startup time
they side on the side of caution and want no outside electronics on
just in case they could transmit some kind of interference...

appologies if facts and numbers are off, I just woke up
and this one is from memory.

-Jeffrey

--
The day MS makes something that doesn't suck
will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.