On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, J Coon wrote:

        Hi,

> I know there must be several ways to do this, but I don't find any links
> to it on the MD community web page.   Every so often, people ask how to
> do this, 'cause they recorded something with their portable and want to
> share it with some that aren't enlightened.  Is there a web page I can
> point them to for the options on how to do it?  It seems there is plenty
> on going the other way, but to make these things more useful to
> musicians, they need a way to record on  MD, and then copy it to a CD to
> give or sell to a potential market for their music.

        This is how I'd do it. A easier choice for musicians maybe to feed
the MD to a CDR standalone recorder. But if you're concerned about
perfection, you'd better:

        - have a MD deck with digital out. They're almost cheaper than
portables...

        - have a soundcard with digital in.

        - Use a wave editor to transfer the MD contents to sound files,
recording digitally.

        - Enhance it, by using normalization, and maybe some expansion or
compression, or even denoising, although the best way is always to have
good recorded material.

        - Toast it.

        If the MD deck has a control bus (eg. S-link) and you're going to
that on a regular basis, it could be worth to implement some automation,
in order to record to different files, and maybe generate CD-Text entries
using the MD title and track labels.

        If you're interested on this, and do Linux, check
jukebox-control.sourceforge.net, as almost all the process mentioned
previously could be automated easily with some scripting with the aid of
tools like brec, sox, cdrdao etc... and the perl S-Link library
functionality that is being implemented.

        That's all!

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org