Hi Simon,

I had two problems with my Creative CD drive both now fixed.  The second is
probably most relevant to you.

Firstly, it increasingly thought all discs were CD-A even though I knew they
were data only and always opened audio player software and displayed the
contents in File Manager a single audio file.  This was cured by uninstalling
Adaptec DirectCD- since then I have surfed the web extensively for that and
similar software and most people dislike the Adaptec products in general,
and DirectCD especially.  The favorite seems to be one called NeroCD which
I've downloaded but not yet tried.  You don't say your drive is CD-RW so I'll
assume it's a normal CD-ROM so you won't use that software anyway.

The other problem was very much like yours-- place disc in tray, close
drive, whirrr... stop, whirrrrrrrr... stop, whirrrr....grrrrrr....whoooo... stop.
"Drive
D: not ready".  This was cured completely by (bad news time) returning the
drive for replacement.  It took several phone calls before they would do so
despite being under warranty still, and I had to pay the postage one-way.
Still the replacement has never had any problems but I still dislike the way
it takes a few seconds to decide to spin-up to full speed.

Best of luck.  I reckon Creative should stick with what they are best at, sound
and video cards.

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "if it harms none, do what you will"
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://website.lineone.net/~princegaz/
ICQ: 36892193

From: "Simon Mackay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>