On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> this can be a good thing or bad thing.
> true, more of the quote "little ones" will have discovered the minidisc, but
> the price on minidisc will probably go up due to the popular demand.

No, prices would go down due to economy of scale.  Prices on CD players
didn't go up when the format caught on either.

> i also dont think other companies are going to spend as much money on
> minidisc technology than on mp3.

Huh?  Companies already spend far more on MiniDisc than they do on
MP3.  There really isn't all that much MP3 stuff out there,
yet.  Meanwhile Sony and Sharp and friends seem to keep pumping out new MD
units of varying types.

> ultimately, i feel that companies are going to raise their prices on minidisc
> equipment due to higher demand, and continue to develope and produce mp3
> players at cheaper prices and better quality.

This is just silly.  If MD prices raise over the long term, it will be
because MD as a format is dying out, not because there is too much
demand.  The only way increased demand is going to cause prices to raise
is if all of a sudden everyone and their dog decides they want one causing
an unexpected shortage.  However this isn't likely to happen.  Companies
seem to be relatively good at judging near future demand for a product and
allocating production resources appropriately.  I mean, you haven't been
seeing the prices of DVD players go up, have you?  They're wildly popular.

> it all depends on how u see the minidisc economy.

I fail to see how point of view would effect an easily quantifiable item
like the price of a product.

-Matt