[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ralphie explained jitter:
>
>     > So lets play them back. But with some jitter introduced
>     > of -0.1 +0.1 +0.1 -0.1.
>     > Thus,
>
> This is a useful exposition, but in practice, what you may get is:
>
>   1 @ -0.0001
>  -1 @  1.0001
>   1 @  2.00001
>  -1 @  2.99999
>
> the question is, does this make any difference ? These jitters are measured
> in picoseconds. There are 22 675 737 picoseconds between samples at 44.1
> kHz.

Sorry simon, but there are 2 S/PDIF frames of 32 bits in each sample.... Ie,

22 675 737 / 64 = 354.3 ns per sample...

Hmm, I agree, 1 ps of jitter is probably un-noticable.

>     > I think you agree that this series of bits represents
>     > another waveform.
>
> In the digital domain, it is easy to measure the jitter with suitable
> equipment. Is there ANYTHING (other than a golden ear) that can measure a
> difference in the analog output from the D/A as a result of this jitter,
> even if it isn't reclocked ?

I'll try see if I can come up with two FFTs to compare.... It'll take me
some time, probalby the time of my boss.... Hmmm... Maybee that's not a
very bright idea....

Cheers,
Ralph -> Trying to spend less time on md-l and more on ST....
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE