From: Jim Gray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: md <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2000 11:17 PM
Subject: MD: coax v. toslink

> Can someone please explain to me how there could possibly be any
> difference between digital transmission by coaxial versus TosLink?  I
> would assume that the exact same data is transferred, and that error
> correction would insure that no data is lost, and yet I read in this
> high-end stereophile book a statement that toslink gives inferior bass
> and imaging, or some such.  Is this for real?

It depends on what you want to believe. If you choose to believe the laws of
physics, numerous scientists, electricians, audio experts (ie - the people
that design the equipment), countless real-world test done by professional
people both in the electronics and audio fields and countless others.....
you will believe that it makes no difference.

If you choose to believe the audiophile who is getting a pay-packet from the
companies running adverts for their latest audio technology which is
probably optical cabling in that issue, you will believe that coax gives
inferior bass.

I know who I believe.

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]