Isn't that going to depend on how "wide" the I/O ports to the ATRAC encoder
is, and the speed of the encoder?  If it's type-R, then it's supposed to
have double the computational ability of 4.5, but 20-bit I/O port width I
think.

If the data going in at quadrouple speed is seriously more than what the
ATRAC can handle, then the encoding process may not be optimized? Because
encoding has to happen in less time than the normal encoding process?
Remember that interview with Sony engineers on MDCP where they mentioned
that computational speed can hinder how good a job the recording is...

I'm not completely sure... don't mind me. :)

Leon