"Brett Tyre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>So really, an MD is not a small compact disc, it is a shrunken
>version of the ancient and obscure magnoptical computer disks...

MO (magneto-optical) disks are alive and well. They are widely used for
backup and archiving solutions because they are still the most reliable
medium out there (debatable with CDR, but MO disks are a lot more
flexible). I use a Fujitsu SCSI MO drive that I bought new last year.
There are now FireWire versions of the 1.3GB and 640MB MO drives.

Less popular than a Zip? Yes. Ancient and obscure? Hardly ;-)