[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Brett Tyre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >So really, an MD is not a small compact disc, it is a shrunken
> >version of the ancient and obscure magnoptical computer disks...
>
> MO (magneto-optical) disks are alive and well. They are widely used for
> backup and archiving solutions because they are still the most reliable
> medium out there (debatable with CDR, but MO disks are a lot more
> flexible). I use a Fujitsu SCSI MO drive that I bought new last year.
> There are now FireWire versions of the 1.3GB and 640MB MO drives.
>
> Less popular than a Zip? Yes. Ancient and obscure? Hardly ;-)

Well, a hybrid MD is the combination of 1) a small CD and 2) an MO disk. And
the pre-recorded MDs are small CDs. Offcourse, all from a technology point
of view.

By the way, CDr are prone to water, Ie, wash them and you wash the data off....

MO discs can be washed without problems.

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE