[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Help (for a new list subscriber)! I have a JE500. I am recording in mono
> mode from a cassette. I show 26+ minutes left and am at track #44. I've been
> rolling along but now suddenly I cannot record more than 6-8 seconds of
> material. (Is there a limit to the number of tracks?)

Hmm,

the tracknumber is stored as a byte, so that sets the limit to 8 bits or any
value between 0 and 255. Thus 255 tracks. So that shouldn't be your problem

> Signal is definitely getting to the MD. Level-Sync is turned off (but makes
> no difference if turned on).
>
> Could this be a bad block on the MD (Sony MDW-74) that I can't get around?
> I've tried ejecting and re=inserting the tape, so that perhaps something
> related to the TOC writing would "jar" whatever's wrong, but to no avail.
>
> If someone who gets MD-L message-by-message has an idea and wouldn't mind
> e-mailing me directly, I'd appreciate it, as I am in digest mode for the
> MD-L list and won't see a reply until the listserver sends the digest.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Richard
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In order to help you, I would like some more information:

1) Did you heavily edit the disk? Ie, did you erase tracks manually, added
   tracks, moved tracks, erase etcetera before you started recording in
   mono from a cassette?

2) Have you tried a fresh blank disk?

Cheers,
Ralph

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE