* "Remko van der Vossen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Mon, 01 May 2000
| I agree with you, there is a big difference between compression and
| compression, you can compress air, and you can compress digital data. When
| we're talking about compression in the Computer Science sense of the word we
| are talking digitally, we are talking bitstreams, datagrams and all that.

CD-DA is a means of compressing *ANALOG* data, not digital data.

[...]
| ATRAC is a bitwise reduction as you are stating yourself, when there's a
| way to get the original data back with a negligable or no data loss the
| it is a compression by definition.

This is my point: CD-DA sampling makes the data smaller, and you can get
the data back with negligible loss (at least that is what most people
think).  By your own definition, CD-DA is a form of compression.

| ZIP is merely a bitwise reduction, it takes note of all data and try's to
| remove all redundancy, ie merely a bitwise reduction...

Well, no.  ZIP transforms redundant data into a code.  This is traditional
data compression.  ATRAC and MP3 remove what they perceive to be
insignificant data.  This is bitwise reduction.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ unknown glowing substance which fell to