Hi,

Someone mentioned how Panasonic is going against MD. I don't see signs of
that (MD as a market in Japan is still too large and growing too fast to
ignore), but I found some interesting news releases.

Matsushita announced two SD memory card audio players on the 9th:
http://www.panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/jn000509-3/jn000
509-3.html

SV-SD70 - sale begins on June 30, along with 64MB and 32MB SD cards.
46x48x15mm, 55g with battery. Stainless steel casing. Can be worn on wrist
(clock function included) or hang like a necklace. Has S-XBS, repeat play.
http://www.panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/jn000509-3/jn000
509-3-1.jpg
http://www.panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/jn000509-3/jn000
509-3-2.jpg

SV-SD01
Worn over one's head, but the headband is of the traditional kind. Has LCD
on unit. Doesn't have S-XBS, clock, or repeat play.
http://www.panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/jn000509-3/jn000
509-3-3.jpg

AAC (advanced audio coding) compression, said to be a type of mpeg-2 audio
compression, is used. 64-minute card holds 64minutes at 128kbps, 86minutes
at 96kbps (standard mode), 129 minutes at 64kbps.

A 64MB blank card sells for 22000 yen, 32MB for 13500 yen. Each of the units
are MSRP 49800yen. A 64MB card is supplied with each player.

>From what I remember, these players were developed for a joint venture
between Matsushita, Universal Music, and AT&T. The plan has been broken up
last year, but Matsushita decided to push ahead with the hardware.

Leon