I know this sounds dumb because I am equating a work of fiction to reality,
but I recently finished reading the Rising Sun by Michael Chricton. In this
book it is basically stated repeatedely that many technologies were
engineered in the U.S. (like TV and many computer technologies) and the US
gov't wouldnt help with patents and so-on, so the Japanese bought all the
stuff up. It said also that Japan is a closed market to foreigners and that
Japan disallows its people to buy American and European technology. Finaly
it says that America owns the US market because of criminal practises like
flooding. Is any of this true?? Oh yeah and it also says that Japan sells
its technology cheaper here in order to capture the market here, but that
the US gov't refuses to take action, because Japan has paid them all off.
Personally I don't care because I will buy always buy Japanese technology
which is great quality, but if it is true I just hope we never piss Japan
off :).

Billy Hetherington