On Thu, 11 May 2000 10:54:46 -0400 (EDT), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  Because it's not being pushed?

But there was some "pushing" or advertising when the format was being
introduced.

I'd say because the net benefits to the average user are possibly not
sufficient for the X number of pounds, dollars, or whatever necessary to buy
into the format. That said, many people may well be blissfully unaware of
the format - but in that case, it'd be reasonable to speculate that the
benefits aren't likely to be significant to them, or they'd be sufficiently
clued up about available formats.

>  It's only been in the last few months where I've seen the Sony ads for MD

>  recorders.

I remember them from a while back. I guess at the time, I would have
considered the price to be not something I could particularly justify, given
my (then) requirements.

Obviously something changed, in order for me to buy into the format.
(cynically) that probably being wanting to spend so money on gadgetry - and
after looking into it, MD seemed rather appealing.

>  I didn't even know about them until I saw one of the guys in
>  my office with one, and I thought it was an MP3 palyer.

But then why would you?

>  However, keep in mind that most people who are using MP3 aren't carrying
>  around portable MP3 players...they're playing them on their PC.  the MD
>  vs. MP3 debate isn't really an apples to apples type of argument, as MDs
>  can only be played on MD players,

You could play your MD player through your PCs soundcard / speakers, though
;-)

>  while MP3s can be played on PCs and MP3
>  players.

They can. But they can almost as easily, and certainly almost infinitely
more flexibly be copied to MD from mp3s on your PC.

>  Show someone the cost differential between a portable MP3 player and
>  memory card vs. MD player and minidiscs, and give them a sample of
>  equivalent sounding recordings, and MD might go over with them.

Aaah, but you have to factor in the newness / gadgetry rating. Suckers like
us, that buy new-ish, gadget style technology, may well favour the newer,
shinier units! ;-)

>  If MD does fail, it's going to be a matter of too little too late in the
>  advertising department.

I'm not solely convinced it's a marketing issue. Whilst it may well be a
factor, I'm not happy with the concept that MD will live or die on it. Don't
get me wrong, I agree that the masses follow market and advertising, but for
most, something has to appeal *for the money*.

Neil