Sharp's news releases state the following:

battery life
Recording - measured with playback volume at 0, analog input
playback - measured with playback volume at 15.

On Sharp portables, volume directly relates to power consumption. I've read
a MD player battery life test in a magazine last year, with everything
played at full volume. The Sharp 531 (and the Sony E95 too) turned in
results that's more than 1 hour less, while most other players stuck to the
official figures.

I've heard from owners of other Sharp models that turning bass boost off
extends battery life. Not very much, just enough to be obvious at the point
where the unit cuts off automatically.

Also, the battery life gradually decreases over its lifetime - not because
of memory effect, but simply because it's moving towards the eventual
"death". The 831 manual says that if the battery gives only half of what it
provided when brand new, it should be replaced.

Leon