I don't know if all 831s are built alike, but this happens to mine.

If I place it in my pocket, so that the pickup is moving up-down, it skips
very easily, and takes awfully long to recover. Often there's a noise that
follows this - as if the pickup fell down the worm gear all the way to one
end of its travel.  This has never happened with any other of my portables.
Panasonics do this if I shake them utterly violently, but I haven't "heard"
the same cases anywhere.

The 831 is as good as any other modern portable if I place it in a different
orientation, i.e. so that the pickup travels left-right.

Thought I'd share :)

Leon